Pasta Primavera is basically taking all the vegetables in your fridge, roasting them up, and tossing it all together with pasta. It’s super easy, healthy, and you get more than your share of desired veggie serving for the day.
I decided to make this after stopping at the local farm stand by my house, where I bought zucchini, yellow squash, and cherry tomatoes. A quick stop at the grocery store for a box of angel hair and a few more veggies (including white eggplant which I’ve never seen before) and I had all the ingredients I needed.
This is the first vegetarian meal I’ve served my fam and as it turns out, no one missed the meat. But if you’re someone who likes protein with their dinner, you can easily add shrimp or chicken to the dish.
Note: Any veggies you use in this dish will work. Pick your favorites, use what you have in the fridge, or support local farms and use what’s fresh and seasonal. Another thing–don’t be turned off by the lengthy ingredient list and chopping time, the outcome will be worth it.
- 1 zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 white eggplant
- 2 stalks of celery
- 3 carrots
- Handful of mushrooms, sliced thick
- 2 heads of broccoli
- Cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 yellow onion, sliced thin
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- ½ cup of reserved pasta water
- Parmesan cheese
- Angel hair pasta
- 1 lemon
1. Start by washing all your vegetables. Then slice them all to be about the size of a matchstick. You want them to all be the same size so they will cook evenly.
2. Place all the veggies on a sheet pan, toss with extra virgin olive oil and S&P. Roast in a 400-degree oven for 45 minutes.
3. While the veggies are roasting, boil some salted water and cook pasta according to package directions. Make sure you reserve about a cup of the pasta water.
4. Slice the onions, mince the garlic, and cut the tomatoes in half. Let them soften in a skillet over low heat.
5. Grate the Parmesan cheese. I added about a cup to the pasta and kept it out at the table so my fam could sprinkle it on if they wanted.
6. Put the cooked pasta back in the pan and add the roasted veggies, fresh herbs, tomato & onion mixture, cheese, and some pasta water to loosen the sauce. Toss together with tongs.
7. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the pasta and serve immediately.