I was looking for a meal that wouldn’t be too time consuming and didn’t require me standing at the stove all night when I came across this recipe. The shredded beef was simple, all you really have to do is throw it in the oven and serve with the appropriate toppings and tortillas. You could even make this in the crock pot, just sear the meat first then throw everything in the pot on high for 6 hours or until it’s falling apart.
In addition to the tacos, I made corn salsa and queso which could be served as sides or on the taco. The recipe for the queso is below, but I’ll do a separate post for the corn salsa.
Shredded Beef Tacos
- Canola oil to cover pan
- 2 lb. beef chuck roast (fat trimmed)
- Chili Powder
- Can of green chilies
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
1. Preheat your oven to 300 degrees. Heat enough oil to coat your dutch oven over medium high heat.
2. Take 1 tsp. of each spice and put in a bowl. Mix together then spread evenly on the meat.
3. Brown meat on all sides for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the beef broth, minced garlic, jalapeno, and chilies. Cook in the oven for 2 to 3 hours, until the meat is falling apart and you can shred it.
5. Check beef every hour to make sure there’s enough liquid. Around the 2 hour mark, shred apart the meat and let it cook in the juices for another hour.
- 12 oz. white American cheese, shredded
- 4 oz. monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced (add another one plus the seeds if you like a spicier queso)
- 1 1/2 cups of milk (I used 2%)
- Canola oil to coat pan
Note: Just go to your deli counter and ask for a 3/4 lb. block of white American cheese.
1.Put oil in pan and heat onions and jalapenos for about 5 minutes until soft.
2. Add cheese and milk as you go, adjusting how thin or thick you want the queso to be with how much milk you add. I like it thinner, so I didn’t really measure how much I used, just whisked until it was right for me.
3. Stir in tomatoes and serve on tacos or with tortilla chips as dip.