I was looking for a hot appetizer to bring to my family’s Labor Day picnic when I spotted these babies on the Internet. French Onion Soup Stuffed Mushrooms…how could they not be delicious? For me the cheesy, hearty soup is always a treat to order at restaurants, but for some reason making it at home always seemed intimidating. So this recipe was the perfect medium, the same flavors but in a different package.
They’re a great alternative to your usual cream cheese-based stuffed mushrooms, and whenever people hear they are “french onion soup stuffed” they’re immediately intrigued. Make these for your next party and sneak a few for yourself before you serve ’em—they’ll be gone before you know it.
French Onion Soup Stuffed Mushrooms
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 3 yellow onions, cut root to tip and sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup of beef broth
- 7 dashes of Worcestershire Sauce
- Splash of white wine
- Block of Gruyere cheese, shredded (you could also use Swiss)
- Handful of minced parsley
- 1 tsp. of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 packages of white mushroom caps, stems removed (about 24)
1. Cut the onions in half root to tip, peel off the skin and slice thinly.
2. Wash the mushrooms by wiping them with a damp cloth. Remove the stems. Tip: I used a corer to scoop out some of the middle so I’d have more room to stuff them. Easy and quick.
3. Wash and mince the parsley, set aside.
4. Throw the chopped onion in the pan with the butter and season with S&P, thyme, and bay leaf. Let the onions sweat over medium-low heat for about 30 minutes or until they’re soft and translucent.
5. Add the beef broth, wine, and Worcestershire sauce. Turn up the heat and allow the liquid to cook down, this takes about 5 minutes. Once the onions have absorbed most of the liquid, remove them from the pan and set aside.
6. In the same pan, add a pat of butter and the mushroom caps for 2 minutes max. You just want to brown them a bit and get them started, you don’t want to cook them.
7. Put the mushrooms in an oven-safe pan and stuff with the onion mixture.
8. Top with the shredded Gruyere cheese and bake for 10 minutes at 325 degrees.
9. Sprinkle the fresh parsley on top of the mushrooms and serve warm.