When I asked my Dad what he wanted for his birthday dinner he responded with “I’m sure whatever you make, I will like”. A nice thought, sure. But what I wanted to hear? Not so much. I wanted to make my Dad his favorite meal on his birthday or the thing he craves most but wouldn’t get to eat on a daily basis.
So, Sloppy Joes it was.
I found this recipe on all recipes and it is way better than any of the pre-made packet stuff you can buy. I’m sure this is one that will please the kids and take the adults back to their own childhood when their Mom was making it in the kitchen after school.
Dad’s Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- Package of buns
1. Dice the onion and pepper.
2. In a skillet over medium high heat, brown the meat, onions, and peppers.
3. Drain the meat mixture.
4. Put the meat mixture back in a pot and add the rest of the ingredients. Stir and then cover and let simmer for 30 minutes over low heat.
5. Pile the sloppy joe’s onto buns and serve hot.