I decided to make this vodka sauce with rigatoni after the locally owned company, Clique Vodka, offered to send me a bottle. A match made in heaven some would say—because I sure do love vodka. Plus there’s something about vodka sauce that everyone loves, whether it be the creaminess of the sauce or the subtle spiciness from the red pepper flakes, this recipe is definitely a crowd pleaser.
The Clique vodka was great in the sauce (and to drink after dinner) and the real key to this recipe is to let the sauce simmer so the vodka flavor doesn’t overwhelm you. You don’t want to take a bite of this pasta and suddenly feel drunk…unless that’s what you’re into.
I made a huge batch of this with shrimp and served it to my girlfriends with salad and homemade garlic bread.
Rigatoni with Vodka Sauce
- 4 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup of vodka
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 of a spanish onion, diced (or one medium sized onion)
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Olive oil to coat pan
- 1 box of rigatoni
- Handful of parmesan cheese
- Chopped parsley and basil to sprinkle on top
1. Cook the rigatoni according to package directions until al dente.
2. Pour the olive oil in a heavy bottomed skillet to coat pan. Saute onion and garlic until translucent, about 3 minutes over medium heat.
3. Add the tomato sauce, red pepper flakes, and the vodka. Let it simmer for at least a half hour over low heat or until you can no longer taste the alcohol.
4. After the sauce has simmered for a while, add the cream and a handful of Parmesan cheese. Stir until everything is looking creamy and delicious.
5. Toss the rigatoni in the sauce and sprinkle fresh herbs on top. Serve with Parmesan cheese and enjoy.
Thanks to Clique for sending me the vodka!