When I have no idea what to make and want something quick and guaranteed to be good–I always end up picking pasta. After searching through all my favorite blogs, I came across a Giada recipe I had bookmarked months ago and promised a total cook time of 25 minutes. Okay, easy enough.
This recipe was really as easy as it promised, with the total cook time being right around a half hour. My only addition was some fresh spinach which gave it a little veggie boost, and I also think kale, broccoli, or peas would be great in this, too.
Orechiette with Turkey Sausage, Beans, and Spinach
- 1 box of orechiette
- Olive oil
- 1 lb. of turkey sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/2 cup of mascarpone cheese
- Fresh spinach (use as much as you please, I added about half a bag of baby spinach)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
1. Boil salted water for pasta and cook orechiette according to package directions about 10 minutes. Save 1 cup of pasta water.
2. Chop the onion and coat pan with olive oil. Add onion and turkey sausage (remove sausage from casings) and cook until the sausage is browned and onions are soft.
3. Add the beans and oregano and cook for a few minutes. Then add the pasta water and mascarpone until there is a light sauce.
4. Throw in the spinach and allow a minute or two for it to wilt. Next add the pasta and toss until coated. Serve hot.